The school code is bma173
At BMA, we are constantly trying to improve and develop different aspects of our school. One change we are happy to share is the revamping of our lunch program. We are glad to be partnering with a committee of parents and nutritionists to work with us on improving the health and appeal of meals being offered.
To that end, we are glad to announce our partnership with Sterling Kosher Caterers for the 2019-2020 school year.
With over 50 years of South Florida Kosher catering experience, Sterling currently serves more than 1,700 kosher lunches in Miami-Dade and Broward, including Broward Meals on Wheels, The Gordon School, David Posnack JCC Preschool and Lehrman Community Day School. We are confident Sterling Catering will be an excellent partner.
We have worked with Sterling to ensure meals are designed to be child friendly, nutritious and delicious. CDC research shows “a strong connection between healthy behaviors and academic achievement.” Ensuring our children eat healthier and better food will help their academic pursuits.
Updates for 2019-2020 school year:
- All meals are cooked fresh daily and kept warm to ensure proper temperature at service
- Allergy friendly – including gluten free options
- Food is prepared in a nut free facility
- Options for the ‘picky’ eater
- We have removed unhealthy/unsafe lunch items from our menu and the staff will encourage the children to try new foods and explore other options. (For example, hotdogs will no longer be served and chicken nuggets will be made from fresh, not processed, chicken).
- We will have a naturally-flavored water station available for all students.
- Dessert will be fresh fruit
Improvements for this year:
- When you order lunch for your child(ren) through Boonli, our online lunch-ordering system, you simply opt in for the day. Choices do not need to be made.
- When receiving lunch, your child will be given that days protein, starch, vegetable and fruit, and have the ability to also receive salad and soup.
- Salad Bar will contain 10+ vegetable selections including choices of toppings and dressings.
- If your child does not like/want that day’s lunch, there will be an assortment of sandwiches available (deli, tuna, egg, sunbutter, jelly, etc). This provides “picky” eaters with multiple options.
- Lunches will be prepacked for Toddlers through Kindergarten as they will be eating lunch in their classrooms along with pre-sliced vegetables.
Due to our growing student body, we are implementing the following improvements to ensure the lunch program runs as smoothly as possible:
- Thoughts, feedback and suggestions can be sent to both BMA and Sterling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- IMPORTANT: Deadlines will be strictly enforced. We will no longer be able to accept additional lunch orders after the deadline has passed. You will be notified of deadlines with enough notice to place orders (see more below).
- Ice Cream Fridays: As a convenience to our parents, you can now pre-pay for ICE CREAM FRIDAYS via Boonli.
- We are no longer able to offer the option of just signing up for Soup & Salad.
- We will not be able to offer sandwiches to those students who don’t want what parents send for lunch.
The deadline to order lunch for August and September will be Tuesday August 20th. Together with Sterling, we will allow for a short grace period for the first ordering session and will be more flexible with those who have missed the deadline allowing our parents to adjust to this policy. Following the first ordering session (August & September) the new deadline will be the 15th of the month prior to the new session. For example, the deadline to order lunch for the October/November session will be September 15.
Wishing everyone a wonderful, and healthy, school year!
Danielle Lustman Eli Hagler
Director of Marketing Executive Director