Bar/Bat Mitzvah & Hanachat Tefilin Date Request
Mazal tov! Your family is planning a milestone event in the life of your child. We encourage BMA families to share the dates of their Bar & Bat Mitzvah celebrations with the rest of the community well in advance so that we can minimize conflict with other family’s celebrations. However you choose to commemorate this special day, we wish your entire family a Mazel Tov as you prepare for this joyous occasion.
As a community, BMA’s faculty and administration look forward to partnering with you for this simcha. In the event of an off-campus Bar/Bat Mitzvah, families are asked to inform the school of the dates and times in the form below. An email will be sent once our date is confirmed, along with additional helpful information.
There are several ways families can celebrate this event at school; please fill out the form below to provide us with 3 preferable dates, in the order in which you prefer. Dates will be approved on a first come, first served basis.
- Hanachat Tefilin (customs vary as to how long before the bar mitzvah boys being putting them on. Students puts on tefilin at school for the first time. A male Judaic Studies teacher who knows the student will deliver a d’var Torah and words of bracha. Please note, this can be done at either the Hanachat Tefilin or the Bar Mitzvah week, but only once. Please plan accordingly and let us know which you would prefer.
- Bar Mitzvah Week: Student will receive an Aliyah to the Torah and can read his Parsha. Family members can chose to receive an aliyah (Aliyah list needs to be provided ahead of time). A male Judaic Studies teacher who knows the student will deliver a d’var Torah and words of bracha. Please note, this can be done at either the Hanachat Tefilin or the Bar Mitzvah week, but only once. Please plan accordingly and let us know which you would prefer.
- Bat Mitzvah: Student can host a Bat Mitzvah celebration after Tefilah in class. A Female Judaic Studies teacher who knows the student will deliver a d’var Torah and words of bracha.
- For all of these events:
- Family and friends may attend.
- The school must be informed of the guest list prior to the event for security purposes.
- Donuts may be provided by the family for ALL middle school students. Currently there are 110 students for the 2019-2020 school year. Donuts should be purchased at the Kosher Dunkin Donuts located at 3951 Stirling Rd., Davie FL 33312 or from Krispy Kreme at 530 NE 167th St., North Miami Beach FL 33162. Or, packaged donuts with the symbols listed below.
- We also encourage you to support the businesses who are BMA Business Partners
- Kosher Central
- Mizrachi Pizza Kitchen
- Sterling Kosher Caterers
Mazel Tov! We look forward to celebrating with you. If you have any questions, please reach out to the following staff members:
For boys: Rav Natan Brownstein at email@example.com
For girls: Morah Miriam LaTova at firstname.lastname@example.org